Sunday, September 7, 2008

Remembering. . . .

I'm sitting at the computer, beside me scrambled eggs from my own chickens, ripe tomatoes and small zucchini from the garden; and I just came in from a walk around my property where I
  • Took pictures of my two crias just born within the past two days
  • Pet my Anatolian Shepherd Tzadi
  • Collected eggs from my chickens
  • Watched fish swim in the pond
  • Tested the mini kiwis for ripeness(almost)
  • Looked at the kumquats and thought how I'd need to learn how to use them
  • Picked a few sunflowers
  • Gazed at the blue sky, the trees swaying gently in the breeze, the green and brown fields
And I'm unbelievably sad. The reason I can do this on "my property" is because tomorrow will mark the one month "anniversary" of my brother's death.

My brother was my best friend and he died suddenly on August 8, 2008. Brad had an alpaca farm in Troy, Idaho, that is now mine. As one of my friends said, the farm is a double-edged sword. It's a blessing and a joy; it stands for loss and emptiness.

In Analyze That (a terribly funny movie with the line that runs constantly through my mind), Billy Crystal aptly and repeatedly says of grieving, "It's a process."

So I look out of the window, I know that one day I'll be able to do the same things with a little less ache in my heart, fewer tears in my eyes, and a sense of Brad's presence that will bring joy and comfort.


You can visit BigMeadowCreekAlpacas.com
and click "In Memorium" to read more about Brad.

3 comments:

Ruby Louise said...

Oh Judy, I'm so sorry for your loss. *hug*

Sayra Adams said...

I visted the Wool Gatherer's page...and found your blog thru it. I just connected the dots, face & work (you're the super nice lady who made those fantastic scarves at the Harvest Fest...My friend Kate looked amazing in the orchid/lilac colored mini shawl.)

I'm gal that was wearing a fancy straw hat. I was doing the felting ball demo that day. My hat booth was turned away from the Wool Gatherer's area. I'll change that when I do the event next year! Your scarves are fabulous! Have you thought to sell on Etsy?

Hang in there, heard about your brother passing. I hope you are getting along ok, day-by-day.

I blog too! I also friended you on Flikr, and I belong to ravelry, user name: hatdiva.

best, Sayra

Sarah Bear said...

Judy, my magic wand has been stolen to erase all of the pain you are feeling. I enjoyed reading your memorium about Brad. His smile is contageous.
((((((((big hug))))))))))))