Friday, June 27, 2008

Transportation and Knitting Lace

I work in a University Transportation Center, and that's what brought me to San Jose, California, this week. During the annual meeting of the Council of University Transportation Centers, the administrators of the UTCs meet to discuss best practices, issues they confront; there is an opportunity to meet with our US DOT Research and Innovative Technology (RITA) coordinators and have them clarify regulations, etc.

During the meeting this year, we admins were surprised and pleased to have Paul Brubaker, the Administrator of RITA, join us. Mr. Brubaker made a great impression on us--he was quite down to earth and seemed to understand the work we do. He's fourth from the left in the picture--according to the CUTC director, Paul looks like a linebacker.

So, my personal "connection" with Mr. Brubaker--he makes no small notice of being
an alum of Youngstown State University. That puts him in the same class as my son, Michael (although Paul was an earlier graduate). I shared that with him and we talked about the area. He was familiar with Reyers Shoe Store (by reputation, the World's Largest Shoe Store) and Quaker Steak and Lube (a converted railroad car with the best hot wings and beer in town)--both across the border in Pennsylvania where I lived.

On the plane to San Jose, I worked on my newest lace project, the Misty Garden Scarf. Lessons learned or relearned:
  • Plane lighting is not conducive to lace knitting (at least, at my age)
  • Don't use a lifeline that is the same color or close to the color you are knitting
  • Horizon/Alaska Airlines serve free wine made in the Northwest (I knew this, but always appreciate relearning it!)
  • Don't get too involved in your knitting to pay attention to announcements (No, this is one time, at least, that I did not miss my plane fight)
  • Flight attendants enjoy seeing your knitting

No comments: